Questions to consider when installing solar panels
Interest in renewable energy sources is at an all-time high, and Trico is ready to help our Members understand the factors to think about when considering solar.
Over the last few months Trico has seen a record number of applications to install residential solar systems. We are committed to helping and supporting our Members throughout this process. It is important for Members considering solar to fully understand the costs, the operational requirements and what they can expect in actual energy cost savings. To help determine whether rooftop solar is right for you, here are some questions to ask and issues to consider.
Before signing any agreement, you should take the time to read the fine print thoroughly, request responses back in writing and ask questions.
Some questions you may want to ask:
- How much will this system cost over the life of the lease or purchase? Are there any interest or fees to be paid? What are total number of payments and due dates?
- Who has the tax obligations, including the increase in property values?
- Are there any eligible tax incentives and rebates? Who will be getting them?
- Can the warranty or maintenance obligations be sold or transferred? If so, how?
- Who do I contact in the event of a system malfunction?
- What happens if I sell my home? What happens to the lease?
- What statistics are you using for the projection of future electric rates?
- What is the minimum performance guarantee for the system?
- Will I be compensated if the system does not produce as much power as promised?
- What are my fixed monthly fees to the utility?
Before agreeing to install a PV system at your home, you should review all the requirements of Arizona Revised Statutes Sections 44-1761 through 44-1764. Trico requires all solar Interconnection Applications to be complaint with those requirements.
If you are considering investing in solar panels, make sure you know the facts. Visit the Member Installed Solar page of our website or call us at (520) 744-2944 to learn more.