Menu

Be safe around electricity with these tips

According to the Electrical Safety Foundation, each year thousands of people in the U.S. are critically injured and electrocuted as a result of electrical fires, accidents and electrocution in their own homes.

Many of these accidents are preventable. Here are some tips to stay safe around electricity:

  • Don’t attempt electrical DIY projects or overload your outlets.
  • Don’t use an extension cord or power strip with heaters and fans. This could cause the cord to overheat and result in fire.
  • Ground-fault circuit interrupters outlets should be used in all kitchens, bathrooms, garages and outdoor outlets.
  • Never use water to extinguish an electrical fire. Use a fire extinguisher or baking soda instead.
  • Remember to unplug the toaster before you pry out that stuck piece of toast! Always unplug small appliances before cleaning them.
  • Report downed power lines, unlocked substations or pad-mount transformers that look amiss.