Stay warm this winter and save MONEY!
Set thermostat to 68-degrees or lower
- Open blinds and drapes to let the sun warm your home
- Change the direction of your ceiling fan's paddles. They should circulate air upward. Run fans only when people are in the room
- Ensure weather-stripping around doors and windows is tight.
- Ditch the space heater! Using a space heater along with central heating will cost you more. Space heaters consume a lot of energy and can add $30 or more to your monthly electric bill.
Year-Round Energy Tips:
- Set the water heater's thermostat to low
- Wash clothes in cold water
- Turn off lights and ceiling fans when not in use
- Turn off computers and other electronic items when not in use
- Clean the coils under the refrigerator
More ways to save $
on your electric bill:
- Install a programmable thermostat
- Change filters on your air conditioner/heater monthly
- Have your A/C and furnace serviced by a professional once a year
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with CFLs.
- Seal around pipes where they penetrate walls and floors
- Improve attic insulation to at least R-38
- Use motion detectors or timers to cut down on outdoor lighting times
- Improve/replace weather stripping around doors and windows
- Consider adding solar screens or window tinting
Replace old appliances with Energy Star-rated appliances!
- Old fridge? See if it's time to replace it with the Refrigerator Retirement Savings Calculator.
- A/C more than 10 years old? Consider replacing it with an Energy Star-rated unit with a SEER rating of 14 or higher.
- Consider replacing single pane windows with low-E Energy Star-rated windows.
- Live in a mobile home? Click here for a guide to improving your home's energy efficiency.